Movie-JPEG (was Re: [updates] 10 for 3.2a)

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Thu Nov 29 06:09:20 UTC 2001

John M McIntosh wrote:

> >In Gimp, open an animated .gif (this just for purposes of illustration).
> >Open up the file dialogue and mouse down to "video". It seems that Gimp
> >will (relatively) cheerfully take a series of jpegs and export them as
> >an mpeg movie (given the mpeg2encode libraries)
>
> Well now it could be that I've an mpeg2encode library around that
> interfaces to Squeak, but somehow the murky laws about licensing etc
> kinda made me not publish it. Now if someone want to clarify that,
> one could do a mpeg encoder in Squeak too.

I peeked at the download site for a licence (and in the download itself)
and there's nothing! It looks like they've made this stuff public domain
with just the usual "without warantee" get out.

Maybe Andrew could drop them an email:

MPEG Software Simulation Group <MPEG-L at netcom.com>?

BTW, looks like, in Gimp at least, mpeg_encode 1.5
(ftp://mm-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/multimedia/mpeg/bmt1r1.tar.gz)
supports JPEG (as well as YUV,PNM and PPM) while the mpeg2encode 1.2
(ftp://ftp.mpeg.org/pub/mpeg/mssg) -- the guys with the email address
above -- supports only PPM and YUV.

We could well be dealing with 2 seperate licences here!

PS, I hope the *nix folk get a plug-in this time: I've still got a
Squeak movie I could never play!

Cheers

John

--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211