Movie-JPEG and other video info

Jan Bottorff janb at pmatrix.com
Thu Nov 29 23:30:56 UTC 2001

>Can you say something about the question of whether M-JPEG supports a
>soundtrack?  It's not clear from the specs if it does.

M-JPEG the codec format only has to do with video. Common file formats that
wrap M-JPEG compressed video frames like AVI or QuickTime do have audio
streams too.

A MPEG video stream is video only, although a MPEG system stream (what we
think of as a MPEG file) is a combination of the MPEG video stream and
audio streams.

DV format actually intertwines video and audio pretty tightly. Native DV
format is actually the format used to write blocks on a DV tape, which is
why things are so intertwined. It's common for editing programs to extract
out the audio part and put it in a separate stream, either as a pre-edit
step or else while transferring the DV data into a platform local wrapping
file format, like AVI or QuickTime.

- Jan