A survey of OSs used by Squeakers

Gary McGovern garywork at lineone.net
Fri Nov 30 13:54:56 UTC 2001

Having been flamed for my email and misunderstood, I feel it only right that
my point is clear. Here is my reply that I don't agree is off-topic for the
thread.

---------------------

Hello X,
Having just done some things with Squeak in full screen mode using morphs,
forms and pens I cannot agree that I need to be constrained by windows
whether I like it or not.  Before I forget and become misunderstood  I
wouldn't abandon using windows in programs, I'd just use them when they were
most appropriate. (I wouldn't want to be called a hypocrite if there was a
window in any project I made would I :-))

Then there were the couple of interesting apps [Such as the Xerox Parc
Information Visualiser].
That's really what I'm thinking of. As for the mind, I was more thinking
about visualisation. Anything in the mind can be replicated on the screen
and
it needn't be in a window.

To be honest X, I'm not so interested in the OS side of things at the
moment. I know you like Linux, I use it for Java, and will learn it more
when I study things like servers, TCP/IP, databases and so on. But for
Squeak, I know I can just copy and paste a load of images on the desktop and
that is cool. I don't think that can be done with Linux, maybe can be with
the Mac.

Anyway back from the digression, what I was originally referring to is that
Squeak should be pretty much the same on all of the OSes. That's all.

Regards,
Gary