Finding Plugins: MPEG files not valid?

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Nov 30 18:12:30 UTC 2001

I'm eager to try the Movie-JPEG format, but I can't get any MPEGs
converted to Movie-JPEG.  The problem isn't the JPEG plugin -- I
can't open any MPEGs!  I know that I used to be able to, but in a
completely-updated 3.2 image, running the 3.1.1 Mac VM (not OS X),
every MPEG or MP3 file I try comes back as being invalid MPEG.  These
are files that I can successfully play in QT Movie Player and in
iTunes.

I've been wondering if I even have the MPEG plugin -- maybe the
primitive is bombing because the module can't be found.  I've tried
downloading the MPEG plugin from www.squeak.org in the
3.0/mac/extra_files directory, but with the same result.

Some questions:
- Is there a more recent MPEG plugin somewhere?
- Is the MPEG plugin built in to the Mac VM?  How can I find out?  I
know that there's a way of getting an array of all the available
plugins, but I can't find it anywhere in the image.
- Are there specific MPEG versions that work or don't work?
- Can anyone point me to valid MPEG files that Squeak can read that I
can try this?

Thanks!
   Mark
Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu