Getting accents into Squeak

Torge Husfeldt jean-jacques.gelee at gmx.de
Mon Oct 1 08:37:45 UTC 2001

Hi,
To get this whole affair clear:
1.1 What you're _supposed_ to do in order to use my changeset is just
find the right keys for the dead characters on your keyboard. That is:
^ (easy you use it for return statements)
° (more difficult on some keybords; german: shift-caret)
' (accent character)
` (other accent character)
~ (tilde, easy:used for /home directories)
¨ (diaeresis, very hard to find except on french keyboards and maybe
some others.
1.2 Now open a Workspace (I hope the editing component still inherits
from ParagraphEditor?!) and just begin typing: ^e should give you ê and
so on...

2. To make your changes to DeadCharacter Dictionary take effect just do
DeadCharacters := nil
this is because the comment (even though only a few hours of age) is
already outdated. DeadCharacters is _really_ a Class Variable and is
lazy initialized.

3. All the SUN international keyboards i came to see had this very neat
compose key with wich you could get (almost) any character from the
given code page you wanted. I worked very fine for me just that all
programs that control the keyboard directly don't really take accont of
these bindings. So I had to recode all the functionality within
emacs-lisp (I'm not sure if I will be able to dig up the code) and would
certainly have done it in squeak also if I this became my favorite
combination of tools (sun-squeak).
3.1 The principle is very easy: you press and release the compose-key
(all the way bottom right of the keyboard - easy to emulate by one of
the superfluous windows keys on linux-pcs) and then the next two keys
you insert will be combined to a new character according to a dictionary
in the system. compose-o-c would give you the copyright symbol and so
on.
3.2 Luckily all of the sun keyboards came with a little explanation of
this functionality in form of a sheet about 2x A4 folded into somthing
the size of a 3 1/2" Diskette (a little above). Maybe I will be able to
find one of those at my university...

Keep squeaking, have fun
Torge
P.S.: You might want to add bindings for the inverse question mark even
if it is a little odd to type  '! for
PPS: If squeak doesn't have an unknown character glyph, what is the
rectangle that i get for the last couple of characters when printing
Characater>>allCharacters?