Getting accents into Squeak

Torge Husfeldt jean-jacques.gelee at gmx.de
Mon Oct 1 09:31:19 UTC 2001

Hi John,

You would have been well off with:

Character deadCharacters keys
 Set ($~ $´ $¨ $^ $` $° )
Character deadCharacters keys collect:[:each | each asciiValue]
 Set (126 171 172 94 96 161 )

Change the 172 to " if you can stand the pain of not seeing your quotes
when you type 'em , but just when you type the next character.

John Hinsley wrote:

> Hi Torge
>
> I think I've begun to get my head around it (a little). So far:
>
> The first two dictionaries work fine:
> À ^ ? ? ~ ?  Ã ? Õ < - > //this keyboard has no superscript o (ascii
> 248) //
> Then we run into trouble. None of the other ones work. (Are we dealing
> here with -- it's difficult to see, even if I increase the text size 044
> or 039 and is the last one 034?)
>
> I've no other idea why! I'm also unsure of how this works. For example,
> in my niaivity I'd thought that I could change Character deadCharacter,
> accept it, and anything I'd coded in would work. Seems I need to do
> something else like re-initilize something. But what?
Remember for changes to take effect use
DeadCharacters _ nil "doIt within CharacaterClass"
or:
Character initializeDeadCharacters "with V3 loaded"
Old issue of out of date comments

> Cheers
>
> John
> --
> Can't cope anymore? Desperate for help?
> Join the 12 step program for those who yearn to give up Microsoft:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~penguinrox/index.html
Cheers,
Torge
P.S.: Use any character you don't type in too often on its own to modify
the folowing one (just make sure you remember all your bindings -
otherwise you could just do Characater allCharacters printIt, format it
nicely and copy and past anytime you need a character not on your
keyboard).
P.P.S: If you have the possibility to do so, I _strongly_ recommend to
use some non US/UK keyboard (like french, german, spanish, italian ...)
because they already have some non-trivial subset of the characters you
might need on them.