Which Squeak is preferred for Mac OS X ?

Andy Stoffel acs at campus.com
Mon Oct 1 12:57:21 UTC 2001

[Thanks to everyone who suggested the Carbon Squeak over
 the Cocoa Squeak for Mac OSX]

Hmmm.... I've noticed that the Carbon Squeak is limited
to displaying 31 character filenames (I realize it has
a way of dealing with longer filenames so you can still
access them.) in places where it does things with files.
[Cocoa Squeak seems to have no problems with
file names exceeding 31 characters....]

That's fine on Mac OS 9 and earlier where files
ARE 31 characters or less... but it can get ugly
if you try to do something in Mac OS X which
supports longer file names. (Example ugliness -
check out the AliceLiddell actor included with
the Alice SqueakObjects. Try and load that particular
actor [after fixing the file names since they've
been truncated @ approx. 31 characters] and see
what happens.

I found where the maximum filename length was set in
Squeak (maxFileNameLength) but changing it seems to
have no effect ? Is this actually defined in the VM
so changing maxFileNameLength has no effect ?

(I'm also curious why it is found in -
 System-Files --> FileDirectory(class) -->platform specific
when it is the same in the Mac & Win32 versions ?
There are 4 platform specific xxxFileDirectory's
(I'm assuming that any port of Squeak that has its'
own file/directory that doesn't match these 4 would
have to have its' own...)

Thanks for any enlightenment :-)....
-Andy-