Caveats

Daniel Joyce daniel.a.joyce at att.net
Tue Oct 2 03:32:56 UTC 2001

On Sunday 30 September 2001 09:39 pm, you wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 19:15:03 -0500 Daniel Joyce <daniel.a.joyce at att.net>
wrote:
> >	Hard coded extents, or improper clipping cause all sorts of
> > text/buttons/etc to appear outside the bounds of their containing morphs.
>
> FWIW clipping of submorphs is not a general property of Morphic in Squeak.
> A few morphs (transformation morphs, e.g.) do clip their submorphs, but
> most simply don't and I think that is intentional and desirable.
>
> Cheers,
> Bob

	It is not desirable if you use larger fonts. Too many windows assume 12 pt
as the normal size, and are hardcoded for that.

	With a 22 pt font ( needed for 1280x1024, so I can read stuff ), the text
runs outside a lot of buttons, and it looks very unprofessional and hackish.

	I can resize fonts in Gnome, KDE, and Windows, and the buttons resive with
them.

	Squeak has too many hardcoded extents, and morphs that aren't smart enough
to resize properly.

	If Squeak is ever going to be taken seriously as a environment by outsiders,
it needs to look professional.

	Not clipping submorphs is silly. Have you ever seen text appear outside the
window/widget/button that contains it on Win95/KDE/Gnome? I haven't.

	Heck, Microsoft got this right in Windows 3.1.

	Why can't we?

	I've attached a jpg of the problem(s).

	-Daniel