Why we should remove {} from Squeak

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Tue Oct 2 15:12:30 UTC 2001

At 2:11 +0300 10/2/01, danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:

>See my proposal in another message on this thread - we should lose the
>idea of "compile time created" objects, and use tools to make caching
>easier.
>
>Daniel

Oh!

I didn't find your other thread, so all I have to go on is this. So, you propose no blocks? No compiled methods? No integers, or strings, or floats?

Or aren't blocks going to be objects anymore? Or integers, like in Java.

Maybe you could point me to that other proposal so I can go read it...

Dave

BTW, I always thought progress came from new ideas that don't quite fit with current notions, but that are useful. In programming languages they might spark creation of a new theoretical framework eventually, rather than the old framework forbidding use of the idea. Am I confused?
--
David N. Smith
dnsmith at watson.ibm.com