FilterCeleste (was: Re: Celeste - How to sort by field?)

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Tue Oct 2 18:08:19 UTC 2001

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> Oh, and something else I remember now: to be practical, Filtering
> Celeste is best when my LargeLists patch (that I sent out at the same
> time as FC) is also loaded.  LargeLists lets you have extremely long
> lists in Morphic without the system bogging down.  And it even works for
> multi-column lists, which was fairly challenging, and I *think* it works
> for drag and drop.  At least in most cases.
>
> I'd be happiest about the whole issue if LargeLists was added to the
> standard image, so that it stays up to date....
Yup, I tried to do something similar in spirit once or twice. I got most
of it to work (handling list contents changes and scrolling), but I
didn't manage to dynamically create the new item morphs when the list
was resized. Have you taken care of this case?

If you have, I think LargeLists are good to have in the official image
for the ChangeSorters, which get slow when you have lots of update
changesets.

> > BTW, IMHO it'd be a good idea to leave it as a subclass for a while, so
> > people can choose which mode they prefer.
>
> Okay, that makes sense.  At the very least, both UI's can be left
> around--I was thinking in round 2 to actually move filtering to a
> separate object.  Then you can have Classic Celeste or Filtering Celeste
> depending on which filtering object you supply (and which UI opening
> routine you call).
That sounds great - Celeste is too centralized now, splitting out parts
would be healthy...
Celeste selectors size
=> 125

> -Lex