[swiki] how to create a form

G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl
Wed Oct 3 13:26:28 UTC 2001

I did create a simple adaptation of Jochen's survey.
I like the layout-independency in the different modes of the forms of this
survey-page.
(..-edit, ..-show & ..-render, reachable in the swikiBrowser under:
refs>templates(page)>form>survey-.. )
- You can write cues for students next to fill-text-boxes. (You do this on
the edit-form in your own clone-set of the three survey-forms in the swiki
browser)
- You can put headers (instead of these cues) in the show page and even
rearrange the presentation-order of the filled boxes.
- Oops, You need also to copy/adapt the settings of the mother-page whose
children will inherit your survey-form: on page 10 of the refs-example
Jochen has these settings:

<settings>
<s name="alerts" type="text">Jochen.Rick at cc.gatech.edu</s>
<s name="lock" type="boolean">false</s>
<s name="childTemplate" type="text">survey</s>
</settings>

(email should become yours)
("survey" should become the name of your clone-set)
------------
Now I also want students to put comments on the show-page in a strucured
way:

Question 1: wich language-elements can I use to put more functionality and
layout-control - like commentboxes - on the form of this show-page? (the +
sign does not work on a form.)

... I did found:

<form action="<?toAppend?>" method=post><?hiddenFormId?><input type="hidden"
value="<?appendId?>" name="appendid"><textarea name="append" rows=4 cols=70
wrap=virtual></textarea><br><input type="submit" value="add to the
page"></form>

...but I have to say where to append(=current page)... help?

Question 2:(by trial&error) I did discover that if I upload pictures, they
automatically appear after the text in the first text-box: the
student-editor of the page can move it to another box, but how can I allow
him/here to upload attachements on the edit page?
(also on the show-page: how can I allow others to attach pages.)

Wish for later: I want to create a data-collection-form as child-form of a
page(choices in drop-down-boxes) and then collect and show the runnning
totals on the bottom of the mother-page.

I did play with the choice-the-format-of-the-next-page-drop-down-box of Tak
Kang in Big Swiki. It is more in the spirit of Swiki to give this
functionality back to the user, instead of leaving it in the hands of the
form-hackers in the swiki-browser. I did try to implement it in 4.9/1.0 but
it failed: can someone repair this?
I have to work with Comanche 4.9/Swiki 1.0. (Sorry, I use NT/98 as a server
and need these upload fuctions also in IE5.5/service pack2)