accented font support in Squeak

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 13:59:31 UTC 2001

Andreas Raab wrote:

> John,
>
> Just as a side note:
> > The nifty Win32 ttf support requires a Windows api.
>
> Only for getting the fonts into Squeak - when they're in, they're in and
> just plain StrikeFonts.

Yes, it's a neat plug in. I've just tried it. But, although the plain
fonts come out better than with the other true type to system font
method -- that's to say, smaller sizes are useable, the accents are not
handled correctly: compare (copy and paste this if you don't have
accents) ÈèÉé¿¡çÇàìòíáùóñõüÜ with a ttf from your plug in and with

font _ (TTFontReader parseFileNamed: '/your/fonts/directory/some.ttf').
sm _ TTSampleStringMorph new font: font; string: 'ÈèÉé¿¡çÇàìòíáùóñõüÜ'.
sm openInWorld

//Ned's snippet, put to my evil purpose!//

Of course, you have to pick a ttf with accents -- most of the standard
ones included with M$ have them.

The italics don't seem to work properly either, but I've an idea of just
how difficult this is, and it is early days yet. It's already a very
clever peice of work.

I guess I'm something of a zealot on the system independence stuff:
everyone I know runs pirated Windows, and I was one of those who
maintained that capitalism wouldn't be brought to its knees by
shoplifting in the 60s!

Cheers

John

--
Can't cope anymore? Desperate for help?
Join the 12 step program for those who yearn to give up Microsoft: