Cache relevant to Squeak code? (was: RE: Skip Lists?!)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Oct 4 02:18:41 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 03 October 2001 18:50, Daniel wrote:
> Well, I happen to be looking at something claiming to be Marios PhD
> thesis, on the Semantics of OO...
>
> Does anyone have pointer on work to make OO-friendly cache schemes?
> Did they try that in SOAR?

SOAR was from the pre-cache (on micros, at least) days. Tim was
probably thinking about Mario's other papers (see the stuff about gc in
http://www.wolczko.com/mushroom/index.html).

This paper shows that the instruction cache size is more critical than
the data cache size (though the write-back policy is important for the
type of gc they used):

    http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/labs/oocsb/papers/oo-hardware.html

These Java people might have some interesting ideas (note that they
have been changing the links at Sun again), the memory papers in
particular:

    http://research.sun.com/people/mario/iccd2000whso/

Vijaykrishnan Narayanan's 1998 PhD thesis includes stuff about caches
for Java:

   http://www.cse.psu.edu/~vijay/publication.html

-- Jecel