[tutorial] Revised Rolodex Project

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sat Oct 6 20:08:19 UTC 2001

Alan Kay wrote:

> Nicely done!

Thanks Alan!

> There are some features in Bookmorph (done by Ted Kaehler) that allow
> its pages to be put to disk or a server and searched and shared
> without having to transmit the whole bookmorph. Look in the main
> "dot" menu.

Yes. I think I might just ask the reader to take a peek at these for the
time being: I'm plotting writing up some stuff to cover the ECDL (a sort
of base line computing syllabus, broadly similar in scope to the area
covered by Parsons and Oja in "Computer Concepts" -- which leads me to
believe that there's probably a US High School equivalent) but using
Linux rather than Windows -- all the UK Course Material is very much
Windows based and many of the smaller institutions would be financially
better off if they could use Linux. But writing stuff on how to use the
presentation programmes in Windows or Star/Open Office is pretty mind
numbing -- I thought I  might do something on using Squeak and Book
Morphs for presentations. After all, it's often easier, almost all the
multimedia stuff is there already, it's more extensible and far more
fun. If I put it together properly, a link from the Rolodex to the
presentations tutorial will serve both. And maybe a presentation makes a
better argument for book pages to be a shared resource?

> Also, Ted and Scott have recently gone much further in
> "SuperDuperMaxiHyperCard". In 3.1 (and now 3.2) are a good start at
> facilities for scripting all of Squeak in a manner similar to the
> etoys, and to add drag and drop fields as real instance variables to
> cards. This is a kind of OOP superset to the HyperCard notion of
> Backgrounds. It is also the start of being able to construct
> arbitrary objects by direct manipulation.

I must take a look at this. I think I may go on to re-doing the whole
Rolodex as a conventional Morph, but I really enjoy etoys as a way of
putting things together quickly and almost organically. Anything which
extends this has to be a very good thing indeed!

Cheers

John

--
Can't cope anymore? Desperate for help?
Join the 12 step program for those who yearn to give up Microsoft: