accented font support in Squeak

Jay Carlson nop at nop.com
Mon Oct 8 04:30:41 UTC 2001

> The standard system font won't accept È (that's capital Egrave, for
> those reading this in Celeste) and, with the exception of Comic and
> Atlanta, the others have problems. Try them with italic, and they all
> have problems.
>
> The AA font stuff looks to be system specific.
>
> While I'm pretty sure that the X bitmap fonts are fully
> internationalised, the changeset for converting them seems to leave the
> accents behind.

In some fonts.  I did just get a nice Egrave in Lucida, for instance. (201
asCharacter).  But each font seems to have an ending point after which all
characters have no more pixels set.

This is what happens when your testing methodology for ISO 8859-1 is to
glance at the glyphs and notice that some of those "funny characters" seem
to be there.  Another stunning victory for US ASCII!

This is bizarre.  OK, I guess I'll go poke at BDF reader.

Jay