A stupid newbie question

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 8 17:39:01 UTC 2001

> "Patrick Castle" <lemeia at bigpond.com> wrote:
> > There is something I don't understand however.
> >
> > If it is true that you can't deploy your projects as .exe files I'm not sure
> > I understand what the point is of working so hard to evolve a development
> > like Squeak. I'm sorry if that sounds like the dumbest question anyone could
It's a long time since any major application was delivered as a single
executable. Consider M$ Word; dozens or maybe hundreds of files. I
haven't had to use windows in about 5 years, so I must be out of date,
but doesn't word now occupy >50Mb of disc? How many files?

Depending somewhat on the platform it is easy to distibute applications
based on a system such as Squeak. On my Acorn machine, it is simply a
directory with a name starting with '!' which contains any libraries,
executabel(s) data files, icon files, resources, manuals etc. I think
Mac OS X has a similar concept. On windows I'm sure you can bind the
image & resources into the executable somehow, etc etc.

tim

Useful random insult:- Put a lens in each ear and you've got a telescope.