Mac drag and drop & single app

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Oct 8 20:52:51 UTC 2001

>  > as I see it, we
>>  either give in to old and pretty dreadful metaphors, or we
>>  try and do something better.
>
>Looks like we have two metaphors to compare:
>
>A) Double click and icon and squeak runs
>B) Drag one icon on top of another and run Squeak
>
>Seems to me like B is the more dreadful metaphor.  All this argument
>ever amounts to is that for most of us, the effort required to get a
>double clickable Squeak image (where the image and VM are bundled
>together) or to create an install application for all platforms is just
>not worth it.  A lot of people seem to want it bad enough to complain
>about it, but not so many (none) seem to want it bad enough to actually
>code it.
>
>If you're using Squeak to build a shrink wrap application and you really
>need it, I'm available for a few kilo-bucks.  ;)
>
>- Stephen

See SystemDictionary>>saveAsEmbeddedImage

support is platform dependent. Not quite sure if you need to fiddle
with the changes and source file logic to ensure they aren't
required, or if we do this as part of the saveAsEmbeddedImage logic.

Note under macintosh OS-X or OS-9 one could have a folder that looks
like an application which would contain multiple files/folders yet
look like in the finder as a single file. That way you can have a
complex thing but view it as a single file.

For the mac users please note I'm just finishing up logic to enable
you to drag and drop various file types (jpeg, mpeg,text, squeak
project...) onto the Squeak VM to start it running and open those
docs within the image. Also I've fixed a long outstanding clipboard
problem and given us the ability to switch screen resolutions on the
fly.