A stupid newbie question

Gary McGovern garywork at lineone.net
Tue Oct 9 14:37:58 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hinsley" <jhinsley at telinco.co.uk>

> If you're saying "I can't afford to stay on line long enough to play
> with the Squeakland stuff", I know that feeling. But don't forget that
> you can "save project to file" through the plug-in just as you can
> through your "real" Squeak. You can then load it into Squeak and play to
> your heart's content offline. I'm damned if I can remember where the
> plugin puts those files in Windows, though.

Well thank you John, that could be the missing thing I was thinking of. If
that works how I imagine then that would be almost perfect. My apologies to
Alan Kay, I may see eye to eye now.

I was never talking about dlls and registry stuff, because I never
programmed that way before Squeak, mostly I did offline Java applet type
programs.

Now its a matter of how tidy and simple offline projects are. Stephen Pair
needn't take up my offer.

>Ken Kahn wrote:
>But the bigger issue is to whether to build upon an >existing environment
or build one from scratch.

But Squeak piggy backs on OSes so is an environment built from scratch and
built upon an existing environment.

No flames please.

Regards,
Gary