Large unix files... & OS-X

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 9 17:47:20 UTC 2001

> If platforms support memory mapped files in some coherent way, it would be
> possible to expose data to the Squeak object memory without necessarily
> having it part of the virtual image.  One might imagine an ExternalForm
> which uses this mechanism to end up with HUGE numbers of pictures.  The
> same thing might be true for making big movies with Squeak.

I'm not sure this is useful enough to merit another requirement on new ports.
mmap() might be available on all the platforms now, but if you don't have it,
you *really* don't have it and probably can't simulate it.  Plus read and write
work fine for huge files, whereas mmap() has a significant issue: it sucks
up address space.  An x86 "only" has 4GB of address space at a time.

If we want huge files, then I vote we extend the file primitives to
handle 64-bit arguments.

-Lex