A stupid newbie question

Bruce ONeel beoneel at bluewin.ch
Tue Oct 9 13:48:46 UTC 2001

"Ken Kahn" <kenkahn at toontalk.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I'm not arguing that Squeak will fail only that it is trying to do something
> very hard and risky. I hope it succeeds.

Hi,
	I think that Squeak is in fact lower risk then the other choices.
Squeak (pretty much) runs on what ever hardware you bring
to the party.  All  of the source is available and not a whole
lot of it is system specific.  What is system specific has been
ported to enough different systems and runs well on those systems
such that one is less likely to find some bizzaro system where the
port is hard.
	In addition there are few single points of failure in the
Squeak community.  Yes, it would be a huge loss if tomorrow
morning all of Squeak Central woke up and decided the the One
True Way was FORTRAN 66 or so, but at 1000+ members I'm sure that
Squeak would continue to evolve, just not as quickly and with
less direction.  The loss of the mailing list or one of the web sites
would hurt as well, but, they could be picked up as well.

	Anyway, this is a too long way of saying that I suspect Squeak
will continue on as long as a self formin group wants it to.

cheers

bruce