A stupid newbie question

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Tue Oct 9 19:07:53 UTC 2001

Exactly.

The are no files, only an incantation ;-)

For CDs the sequence is very clear ('net software is probably similar,
but I don't use Windows with the Internet) -

You put the CD in the drive. After 10 seconds or so, a menu appear
offering you to read docs or install the software. You choose to
install. While you wait, it displays concilliatory messages and
marketing information about features in the program you're installing or
other software. Some complex or voluminous software packages will ask
you questions for example about what components you want to install
during this process. When it's done, you will get shortcuts on your
desktop and start menu. Various files will be spread across various
places on you file system, and various settings not visible through your
file system will be affected. If these would take more space than you
have, you'd have been notified beforehand, and otherwise, you don't care
a bit about what went where.

This used to involve running a program that was ALWAYS called setup.exe,
alway in the root of the CD, but then they invented autorun.inf (IIRC)
so you don't need to do that.

This is the user experience regular people are used to dealing with.

Daniel