Bandwidth Was: A stupid newbie question

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Tue Oct 9 11:01:18 UTC 2001

It would be a mistake to design for yesterday, or even for today.  That
15-minute load from tape can now be done in seconds from diskette or,
significantly, via even the slowest modem connection.  Imagine the situation
we'd be in if it had been mandated back in '85 that no individual program
could be larger than could be loaded in one minute from an audio cassette!

Until (and even after) bandwidth becomes truly cheap and ubiquitous Squeak's
late-bound resources can also be distributed on other media, as is still
done to this day with Linux and other software designed to be distributed
via the internet, but bandwidth WILL get cheaper and WILL be more widely
available; why constrain ourselves as though available technology will never
improve?

Gary Fisher