[graybeards] Simple Simula Example?

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Wed Oct 10 02:35:51 UTC 2001

Good points.

Actually Simula I had by far the most influence early on (1966).
Simula 67 had very little influence on most of the stuff from Flex
onwards. By the time the documents arrived, alternates were well
along. But I do remember thinking that the Simula folks had done a
hell of a job with 67 -- It was a tremendous change and improvement
from Simula I (but still with the monster type limitations that you
refer to below).
      I did not like the inheritance scheme of Simula 67 (Simula I
didn't have one), did not put it into ST-72 in the hopes that we
would come up with something less spidery. Maybe the best alternative
that didn't make it into later Smalltalks was a slot inheritance
scheme worked out by Larry Tesler. I've never been in love with the
ST-76 or -80 inheritance schemes -- I still like "sideways" schemes
for having multiple centers of meaning for an object. Maybe we'll do
a good one some day ...

Cheers,

Alan

-------