Smalltalk 72

Ken Kahn kenkahn at toontalk.com
Wed Oct 10 16:10:59 UTC 2001

Alan Kay wrote:
>       I did not like the inheritance scheme of Simula 67 (Simula I
> didn't have one), did not put it into ST-72 in the hopes that we
> would come up with something less spidery. Maybe the best alternative
> that didn't make it into later Smalltalks was a slot inheritance
> scheme worked out by Larry Tesler. I've never been in love with the
> ST-76 or -80 inheritance schemes -- I still like "sideways" schemes
> for having multiple centers of meaning for an object. Maybe we'll do
> a good one some day ...

My memory of Smalltalk 72 is pretty fuzzy. (I remember the character set
included eyeballs, that communication was stack based, a bit like Forth, and
therefore flexible but error prone, and not much else.) My guess is that
most people reading this know even less. Could you summarize what were the
important ideas in Smalltalk 72 that have been lost/ignored? Like its
inheritance scheme.

Best,

-ken kahn ( www.toontalk.com )