Leibniz & Leibnitz & Brian Smith

Ken Kahn kenkahn at toontalk.com
Wed Oct 10 22:33:48 UTC 2001

Maarten Maartensz  wrote:

> First, Leibniz spelled his last name "Leibniz" (and not "Leibnitz",
> "Liebnitz" etc.),

"Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz" gets 9680 hits while "Gottfried Wilhelm
Leibnitz" gets only 856. So maybe you are right ;-). But some sites (
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/pub/HistMath/People/Leibniz/RouseBall/RB_Leibnitz.ht
ml ) says things like:

>From `A Short Account of the History of Mathematics' (4th edition, 1908) by
W. W. Rouse Ball.
Gottfried Wilhelm Leibnitz (or Leibniz) was born at Leipzig...

My spell checker accepts both spellings.

> Most philosophy is NOT really relevant to computing, and most philosophers
> are not really good at anything mathematical.

Agreed. Has anyone here read the book "On the Origin of Objects" by Brian
Cantwell Smith ( http://www.ageofsig.org/people/bcsmith/ )? My guess is that
it is quite interesting. Brian is both a professor of Computer Science and a
professor of Philosophy.

Best,

-ken kahn ( www.toontalk.com )