Squeak-dev digest, Vol 1 #200 - 45 msgs

Ed Heil uncorrected at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 00:41:27 UTC 2001

Hi folks.  Just thought I'd pipe up and say hi.

I've recently discovered Squeak.  What happened was that I took a
class on Java for work -- a one week class -- and found I really
enjoyed it.  It made me curious about other languages, and I kept
hearing that Smalltalk was the OO language par excellance, and from
there it was a short journey to Squeak.

The only other languages I've ever really used are Basic (long ago)
and Perl.  I have to say that SmallTalk is pretty intimidating.  The
concept (messages for objects) is wonderfully simple, yes, but it's
kinda hard to figure out how to actually do much with it.  There are
several tutorials available on the web, but somehow they just don't
seem to take you very far.

The most helpful one so far has been the tutorial for GNU Smalltalk,
but of course that doesn't help much with the Morphic world.

I guess what I'm dying for is an O'Reilly And Associates "Squeak In A
Nutshell" book or something.  Just something that sits you down and
says "these are the things you need to think about to make yourself a
Morphic application."

Does anyone have particular suggestions on good Smalltalk resources
that bridge the gap from "Here's a three page tutorial that introduces
you to the concept that objects get passed messages" to "Oh, hell,
just dive into the class browser and figure it out yourself"?

Ed

Ed Heil ....................... uncorrected at yahoo.com