A stupid newbie question

Gary McGovern garywork at lineone.net
Thu Oct 11 01:49:18 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Kay" <Alan.Kay at squeakland.org>

> Gary --
>
> It only allows existing OSs to keep running to "be nice". It just
> seemed that running like an app would be a good transitional and
> ecological stategy.

I think its good idea to piggy back and to be able to just copy and paste a
new system onto a desktop without all the integration.

You should know though that Squeak has run on a
> number of platforms (such as some bare chips) without any other code
> (and this is how it ran at Xerox PARC and when it first came out into
> the world in the early 80s). There are only a few things that would
> need to be done (main thing is probably to put more primitive
> Internet stuff into the kernel) to make this the default -- and I
> think I have heard of some folks on the list who are doing just this.

Yes, I know about that. I'd like that too for multi-boot. Device drivers
were the main thing last time I looked.

> However, I'm not an exclusivist. I think people should be able to run
> anything they need side by side and interoperably on their computers
> regardless of where they came from. That was one of the main points
> behind my particular conception of OOP (and how it would
> isomorphically relate to the ARPAnet) back in the 60s.

I like that idea as well, versatility.

Regards,
Gary

> Cheers,
>
> Alan
>
> ------
>

> At 3:37 PM +0100 10/9/01, Gary McGovern wrote:

If
> >that works how I imagine then that would be almost perfect. My apologies
> >Alan Kay, I may see eye to eye now.
> >
> >I was never talking about dlls and registry stuff, because I never
> >programmed that way before Squeak, mostly I did offline Java applet type
> >programs.
> >
> >Now its a matter of how tidy and simple offline projects are. Stephen
Pair