New Squeaking

Ed Heil uncorrected at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 02:12:18 UTC 2001

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 07:59:41 -0400
> From: Kevin Fisher <kgf at golden.net>
> To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
> Subject: Book Suggestions (was Re: Squeak-dev digest, Vol 1 #200 - 45 msgs)
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 07:41:27PM -0500, Ed Heil wrote:
> Interesting....seems you are following much the same path I did a while
> ago.  I even read the GNU Smalltalk tutorial back in '93!
>
> I do agree that at first when you jump into Squeak the first question
> that comes to mind is, "Gee, where do I start?"  I think that the
> question really becomes answered once you understand the interface
> better...it did for me.
>
> Well, I have two recommendations for reading:
> 1) "Smalltalk-80: The Language" by Goldberg & Robson.  VERY good for learning
> the basics of Smalltalk.   I still swear by this book, even though my
> copy is getting rather dog-eared.
> 2) "Squeak: O-O Design with Multimedia Applications" by Mark Guzdial.  This
> will help you understand Morphic with some good working examples.  This
> is the so-called "white book" you may hear about on this list.
>
> Actually, I learned Morphic primarily through the Browser...I just picked
> apart various simple Morphic applications like Tetris and Celeste.  The
> "white book" filled in the blanks, so to speak.

Thanks, Kevin.  I'll see what I can do on that path, just poking
around, getting to know things.  I've ordered the White Book off of
Amazon; we'll see how that goes.  And I know where I can get Goldberg
& Robson locally too. :)

By the way, this is interesting -- I've known about Adele Goldberg for
years, but not in a computer science context, in a linguistics
context.  I loved the book she wrote working with Charles Fillmore,
_Constructions,_ in which she presented an "object oriented" view of
human language, one which is similar to the work of other linguists I
admire, like Ronald Langacker.

Thanks very much!

Ed Heil ....................... uncorrected at yahoo.com