[ENH] save preferences to disk

Jim Benson jb at speed.net
Fri Oct 12 22:12:34 UTC 2001

Simon,

I like your thinking on this one. I especially liked the idea of having this
as a button in a preference panel somewhere. I wrote something similar a
while ago. Write up in the Squeak fixes archive at:

http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/973.html

As I recall, we talked about this subject for several months prior to the
release of this changeset. We laughed, we cried, but most of all we cared.
Well, we didn't care all that much, but it makes for a good story.

 [As an aside, I'll point out that it really wasn't that interesting of a
story to begin with. However, when a newbie asks, "How do I make a .exe file
from my Squeak program?" on this list, that generates a five day
dissertation (hard to tell how long really, related threads have cropped up
that may make this last a fortnight or two) on subjects ranging from UI
paradigms, incompetency of commercial implementors, the relationships of
computers to philosophy, etc. In the end, I think that what I called,
"Carrying preferences around" was at least as uninteresting as "how do I
make an .exe file?", but not nearly as controversial].

One thing you might consider is writing your preference file out as a list
of doits. I recall that Tim Rowledge suggested that as an easy way to import
your settings without being required to have the preference changeset loaded
[As an added bonus, you can put this on the command line]. I use this all
the time. I have a preference file I generated awhile back, and file it in
first thing into a virgin image. This configures the image to be a more
comfortable place for me to work in without the usual fiddling with the
myriad of options normally required.

Another thing you might consider is writing out system attributes other than
just the preferences. For example, I also wrote out the window colors,
system font settings, and things like that. I remember Lex Spoon mentioning
that he wanted to be able to write out other settings such as Celeste
preferences too.

The basic idea is to read in this one preference file to configure the image
into your preferred working environment, without all the usual fiddling
about that you're normally forced to do.

I'll send an updated version of my code to the list in case you want to lift
any of the ideas directly.

Jim