[BUG] Command line scripts stopped working

Ted Wright ted at consequential.org
Fri Oct 12 22:31:52 UTC 2001

Command line scripts are broken in Squeak 3.1beta, updated through 4411.
Command line scripts work OK with the Squeak 3.0 image and same VM
(Lex Spoon's VM source compiled under Red Hat Linux 7.1/Intel).

The squeak man page says you can put code in a script file, and have it
executed at startup. For example, putting:

	Transcript cr; show: 'Hello, world'.

in a file called 'hello.sq', and starting Squeak with:

	squeak -- hello.sq

should start squeak and show "Hello, World' in the Transcript. This worked properly
in Squeak 3.0. In 3.1beta, Squeak starts, but no code from the script file is executed.
I think it may have something to do with the recent ProjectLauncher updates.

Furthermore, the squeak man page says you can create a 'self executing' shell script,
i.e., putting the following in an executable shell script file:

	#!/usr/local/bin/squeak --
	Transcript cr; show: 'Hello, world'.

When I run this, Squeak 3.1 starts, but does not execute the script.
Squeak 3.0 starts up with an error dialog:

	Syntax error
	UndefinedObject   as yet unclassified   Nothing
	Nothing more expected ->/usr/local/bin/squeak  --
	Transcript cr; show: 'Hello World'.

Ted