Squeak for Windows - Ctrl instead of Alt key

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Oct 14 19:30:09 UTC 2001

"Andreas Raab" <Andreas.Raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Gerald,
>
> Changing the VM is pointless. It'll only confuse you if "Sensor
> controlKeyPressed" returns true when you press the Alt key but false when
> you press the control key. Just change the keyboard bindings within Squeak -
> hey you can even do that *while* Squeak is running ;-)

You have a point, but this solution has the problem that different
images have different settings!

The other view is that the "control" key that Squeak sees is a virtual
key.  You can hook it up however you like.  And thus, controlKeyPressed
mapping to the "alt" key is fine.  How many of us actually have a
"command" key, anyway?  So swapping in the VM still makes sense, at
least if you turn your head properly and close one eye.  :)  A comment
in controlKeyPressed (all four of them, ugh) would smooth the issue
over.

It will be more odd for tutorials and such, as has been pointed out....
(Already, tutorials suffer from having to explain mouse button
strangeness!)

But really, I kinda wish people could just learn to use Squeak's
standard bindings.  I guess I'm biased, though, since all of the apps I
use have different bindings, anyway.

-Lex