[BUG] CodeHolder>>changeCategory

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Mon Oct 15 00:39:35 UTC 2001

This came out while preparing a changeset for submission (to be sent in a
minute). I wanted to change the categeory of a method, and I saw the handy
dandy "change category..." menu item in the messages menu list. Cool! So I
used it. But duh and bummer, nothing showed up in the changeset! I
wouldn't have noticed it if it hadn't been a very small changeset that I
was preparing for submission. Bad bad!

A bunch of investigation later (including close comparison of reorganize
vs. change category...) leads me to this in CodeHolder>>changeCategory:

	"Smalltalk changes reorganizeClass: aClass."
	"Decided on further review that the above,
	 when present, could cause more unexpected harm than good"

But but but! All ChangeSet>>reorganizeClass: *does* is:

	self atClass: class add: #reorganize

And, as far as I can tell, that's the *only* place it happens.

Note that Browser>>changeMessageCategories: uses this line, and changes
made by it show up.

I'm a *big* believer in changes being recorded. I was wondering if Scott
could explain what the putative harms are? If there are some, then reorg
should reflect that too!

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.