{bad habits] Squeak for Windows - Ctrl instead of Alt key

Dick Karpinski dick at cfcl.com
Mon Oct 15 01:16:56 UTC 2001

People form habits. Unavoidably. Modes (where the same keystrokes have
different meanings) are thus inhumane. The problem is endemic within the
realm of separate applications. Eliminating separate applications to
solve the problem is (in theory) possible, but it represents a major
paradigm shift. It requires packaging function in command sets instead
of applications. See The Humane Interface for more detail. The prospect
is heartening while the liklihood exceeds zero by only a smidgen, perhaps.

Dick

Rsponding to:
> You reckon?  In Netscape, it's Alt-p to print the current document.
> In Acrobat Reader, it's Ctrl-p to print the current document.
> So when Netscape fires up Acrobat Reader to view a document,
> which it often does, I *ALWAYS* end up grateful that Alt-p does nothing
> in Acrobat, and would be even gratefuller if it did the Right Thing.

Let me just add another contrary data point: I *regularly* screw up copy
and paste when working with Squeak on Windows. I had to force myself to
get used to Windows evil ctrl thingy, and I'm *constantly* going ctrl-v,
ctrl-c, etc. in Squeak. Worse when I'm trying to go between Squeak and
another program.

Brutal, it is very very very brutal. Definitely diminishs the general
computing experience for me. And, after all, it's not like Windows needs
HELP in diminishing the computing experience for me....