I'm a beginner who has never used Squeak. Please Help.

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Tue Oct 16 02:36:04 UTC 2001

Tamika --

I have put the first pass at your tutorial on one of our swiki
servers. As usual, the project turned out to be a lot easier to
actually make than documenting it in enough detail to be useful! So I
have quite a bit more writing to be done.  Also, I have to upload a
lot more screen shots for the writing that has been done. I can see
that this will take a few days. By contrast, the bare bones of the
project took about 3 hours to do (of which about 2 hours was making
and playing with the animated character).

However, there is enough there to get started (I hope).

Here is the URL: http://squeakland.org:8080/super/200

I did the entire project just using telephone rates (26K baud most of
the time). Both Squeak and the swiki server performed really well.
The main map is the biggest bottleneck at low data rates, but still
is possible.

I would like to invite others in the Squeak list who are interested
in the problems of documentation, etc., to participate. For example,
it would nice for Tamika and her classmates to easily use Luciano's
speech synthesis stuff for their animated character. Maybe Mark
Guzdial and his colleagues at Georgia Tech can tell us about some of
their experiments with etoys and other parts of Squeak.

Also, there are probably some very good documentation pages already
done in this area that could be crossreferenced in the "Tamika
Tutorial".

Tomorrow I will get another little stretch in the early morning to
document how I made the animated world character, and also, I should
publish my version of this project at some point. (Maybe not right
away in order to test the usefulness of the tutorial).

Cheers,

Alan

-----