Back to Kant

Gary McGovern garywork at lineone.net
Tue Oct 16 15:14:57 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Kay" <Alan.Kay at squeakland.org>
To: <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 1:10 PM
Subject: Re: Back to Kant

> Ken --
>
> At 11:37 AM -0700 10/11/01, Ken Kahn wrote:
> >Philosophy intersects programming languages at least in two places:
> >
> >1. A language designer is designing a world with an ontology and
> >episptomology. I think this is what Alan mean by Smalltalk being too
> >Platonic. Think about the different world views inherent in a class based
> >OOPL than in a prototype based one.

> This was exactly the sense of my remark.

That isn't how I understood that remark at all, I understood it to mean that
objects were too dependent on the hierarchy and the system. And ideally that
objects should have 'rights to freedom' and not just be imprisoned within
the system they were created in.

Shouldn't Joe the box have rights to travel to the system of his choice, the
and to talk to objects of his choice ?

Regards,
Gary