[Q] RunArray>>, and #copyReplaceFrom:to:with:

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Wed Oct 17 06:03:14 UTC 2001

Lex,

> The reason for OrderedCollections is so that text can be
> *built* quickly -- this is important in processing HTML.

Yes, I am well aware of this - and I checked the implications beforehand.
You only pay a (minor) price when a new run begins, in all other cases the
tweaks make it much faster than before. Thus, if your runs are not extremely
short you'll win in the big picture.

> Or at least, it used to be. Right now it seems to make a 10% slowdown
> for the main Swiki page, so maybe it's not a terribly big
> deal.

10% slowdown?! Sounds strange. No matter how hard I try I'm not seeing a
slowdown - in fact, I'm seeing a slight speedup (in the range of 3%). And
that's certainly not amazing considering the above.

However, since you seem to be so concerned about this particular issue
(quite surprising considering that none of this code even shows up in a
message tally ;-) see the attached changes. These _do_ give you a rough 10%
speedup :-)

Cheers,
  - Andreas