Back to Kant

Justin Walsh jwalsh at bigpond.net.au
Wed Oct 17 23:08:13 UTC 2001

Absolutely Gary! absolutely!
Not flaming. Just little too intense. sorry!
I actually thought you were flaming me!
You sound like a pretty "clean slate". I envy you: uncluttered,
expectations.
Squeak is not perfect but is more perfect than all the other procedural
languages.
It is a fun language as well as being a great scientific tool.
In fact it is too perfect, too specific:
"intensibility" (of thought) gives in to "extensibility" (of action); design
to desire.
After all the idea of wyswyg originated in Smalltalk but, it has a systemic
weakness.
The DESIRE for action transcends the NEED for DESIGN.
The clue to smalltalks specific failure lies in its very specific strength;
poly-morph-ism (parent to child).
In the bad ole days, the command to hate, was the "goto".
Now, it seems some people need to restore some thing that looks like a goto.
Why? Is it because they often find themselves on a wrong "branch", cannot
afford to backtrack and are looking for a quick n nasty  opportunity to jump
to a neighbouring branch, in the expectation that it will be the right one
this time?
Now Gary that is a veeerry serious design problem.
The designers of smalltalk overlooked iso-morph-ism (auties and uncles).
Now the designers, instead of going back to basics, are using (or abusing)
the enthusiasm that goes with activism to "hack" their way out of a
conceptual problem.
It worries the [graybeards] too I can sense it (in their silence).
By the way, in Aboriginal culture, iso-morph-ism is more general than
poly-morph-ism: aunties and uncle relationships transcend parent-child
relationships. So they are always in the correct universal.
Anyway Gary.
have lots of fun!
Justin