[ENH][GOODIE] CommandShell V1.3 (version 1.3 released)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Oct 21 11:26:14 UTC 2001

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 06:01:06AM +0100, John Hinsley wrote:
> Hi Dave
>
> I've loaded all the changesets, and re-run start up, but ls and echo now
> bring up the debugger with MessageNotUnderstood: commandNoEvaluate:
> environment. (Worked fine before.)
>
> Looks like I may need OSProcess 2.4. Where should I look for it?

Correct, you need OSProcess 2.4, which apparently got lost in the mail.
I just re-sent it to the list.

> (By the way, I'd love to see this stuff fully documented: I think I
> grasp and use about a fifth of its potential, mainly because it involves
> wearing two hats at the same time!)

I've tried to put some useful comments in the classes and the class
side methods for OSProcess, along with some example methods and "utility"
methods that hopefully give some guidance. The CommandShell documentation
is a bit light, but I've been redesigning it a lot over the last couple
of months and I don't think it's fully settled in yet.

The most interesting conceptual problem right now is how to do the syntax
for a pipeline of mixed Smalltalk and Unix commands. I have a working
implementation at this point, but there is a cognitive impedence mismatch
in things like "echo hello | stdout nextPutAll: stdin upToEnd ! ".

Dave