Remote Squeaking (was Re: totally new to squeak)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sun Oct 21 20:07:04 UTC 2001

On Sunday 21 October 2001 12:53 pm, Lex Spoon wrote:

> The EToy system uses Nebraska.  9091 is only the default, btw.  Heck, it
> doesn't even *really* need a TCP connection -- any stream will do.
>

> Hmm, all this would make a nice Swiki page....

It would... there's http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1356
but I don't know how accurate it is.

I tried it on my own machine:

* hit the "Share" button on the Project navigator. My Hand gets my name.
* pulled out a badge for myself from the Objects tool
* turned on my ears (pulled out a Listener and turned it on)

hit the "S" on my badge, saw a green rectangle with an orange border appear.
This rectangle had several white rectangles on it.

Then I got a walkback:

VM: unix - Squeak3.1alpha of 7 March 2001 [latest update: #4332]
Image: Squeak3.2alpha [latest update: #4441]

Integer class(Object)>>error:
	Receiver: Integer
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		aString: 	'At least one digit expected here'
	Receiver's instance variables:
		<<too complex to show>>

Integer class>>readFrom:base:
	Receiver: Integer
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		aStream: 	a ReadStream
		base: 	10
		digit: 	-8
		value: 	0
		neg: 	false
		startPos: 	0
	Receiver's instance variables:
		<<too complex to show>>

Number class>>readFrom:
	Receiver: Number
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		stringOrStream: 	a ReadStream
		value: 	nil
		base: 	10
		aStream: 	a ReadStream
		sign: 	1
	Receiver's instance variables:
		<<too complex to show>>

Number class(Object)>>readFromString:
	Receiver: Number
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		aString: 	'(257/9)'
	Receiver's instance variables:
		<<too complex to show>>

--- The rest of the stack ---
MorphicTransform class>>fromRemoteCanvasEncoding:
DisplayTransform class>>fromRemoteCanvasEncoding:
CanvasDecoder class>>decodeTransform:
CanvasDecoder>>setTransform:
CanvasDecoder>>processCommand:onForceDo:
CanvasDecoder>>processIOOnForce:
NetworkTerminalMorph>>step
NetworkTerminalMorph(Morph)>>stepAt:
StepMessage(MorphicAlarm)>>value:
WorldState>>runLocalStepMethodsIn:
WorldState>>runStepMethodsIn:
PasteUpMorph>>runStepMethods
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
[] in Project class>>spawnNewProcess
[] in BlockContext>>newProcess

The problem is that the received packet was:
#('B' 'Morphic,-8,-8,(257/9),0.0')

and we're trying to make an Integer from '(257/9)'.

So I don't know if there's a problem or not, but it doesn't work on my one
machine (I know, I should try this remotely).

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com