Sound under OS-X

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Oct 22 02:11:47 UTC 2001

Andrew C. Greenberg had reported some issues with sound under OS-X.
Now I'm wondering if others have seen this with 10.1 Using the latest
VM, you get lousy sound unless you increase BufferMSecs to say 300 in
SoundPlayer>>initialize.

I noted when squeak classic is in the foreground we get 0% idle time,
however if I put all the classic apps in the background then idle CPU
goes to about 44%, other stuff eats some time so TruBlueEnv is
getting about 33%. Seems the TruBlueEnv naps when in the background,
this makes the sound even uglier.

However if I run the carbon version of Squeak then we have about 28%
idle cpu regardless if squeak is in the foreground or background,
also the sound is fine. If you change BufferMSecs to say 300 then you
eliminate most of the pops when going to the dock etc.

So I'm wondering what others have observed.

Also anyone have a working sound input device, on my firewire G3 the
internal microphone isn't shown as an input device in the sound panel.