[Q] Have you had problems with clashing method initials?

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Mon Oct 22 09:41:48 UTC 2001

At a demo of my Modules stuff (btw it should be out any time now, honestly!)
I mentioned that I have added Com, Org, Project as well as People top levels
so that there are several ways to ensure a (truly) globally unique name for
every module. I believe that the People category will be heavily used for
smaller stuff that you all release, like fixes, enh:s, goodies, and so on.

My idea was to use method initials to identify people, since these are well
established and used already. Then some people objected that this would not
work because of conflicts etc, while others said it would. The alternative
would be to use full names without spaces.

Since the most insignificant topics typically generate the longest
discussions, to preempt that, let's not discuss why y'all think it will work
or not, or whether you like it or not. ;-) I've heard both sides of that
already. What I AM interested in is hearing if there have been any problems
with choosing method initials before (i.e. someone has found that their
initials have already been taken), or how clashes have been handled in
general--because these would be facts as opposed to speculation. I know
there are people out there who have the same initials.

Let the many Steves and Daves and so forth out there be heard.

/ hg