Sound under OS-X

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Oct 22 13:36:05 UTC 2001

While we're talking about sound under OS-X...is sound input ported
yet?  I'm still considering/dreading the jump to OS-X (image: Mark on
top of the high diving board.  "Yep, I'll be jumpin' anytime now.
Anytime now..."), but I was further dissuaded when I heard that sound
in is broken in Squeak under OS-X.   I use sound-in with
AudioExplorer alot. Any time frame for this?

Thanks!
  Mark

>>Not sure if this would help, but the Carbon Event Manager is supposed to
>>provide more reliable idle timing than the classic WaitNextEvent stuff.
>>I'm not sure if the Carbon Event Manager (an event-based paradigm) would
>>play well with Squeak (a polling paradigm?)
>>
>>-Eric
>
>I have considered that, but each time I read the Carbon Event manual
>my eyes cross. However maybe I'll reconsider this week or next
>depending on my work load. Of course this becomes very carbon
>specific and I've been avoiding taking that leap.
>
>One of the interesting things here is what to do when Squeak calls
>primitiveRelinquishProcessor which is to Relinquish the Processor
>for N microSeconds. Using 1/60 sec impacts morphic stepping. For
>Carbon I attempt a 1/60 wait every 100 calls which then lowers
>Squeak CPU usage from 100%. I guess I rummage about in the BSD
>toolkit.
>--
>--
>John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> 1-800-477-2659
>Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu