Sound under OS-X

Eric Scharff Eric.Scharff at Colorado.EDU
Tue Oct 23 00:53:21 UTC 2001

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 John.Maloney at disney.com wrote:

> Can you see a USB microphone? An audio CD? I hope this is easy to fix.
> I, too, do a LOT of work with sound.

Sound input works under OS X!  I just recorded an audio sample with 10.1.

However, the APIs may have changed.  I think that the Sound Input Manager
is supported, but....

The demo application I used to get Sound Input used QuickTime.  It used
the Sequence Grabber to get sound input.  There is an OS-provided dialog
to choose the input source.

Note that on my computer, I can get input from the Microphone (line-in)
but not from the built-in CD player.

Anyway, at least sound input is possible in X using QuickTime and the
Sqeuance Grabber.  I have no ideas what changes would be necessary to
Squeak to use this stuff.

In case you want to check out the demo app I used, it is called HackTV and
is provided as part of the QuickTime sample code:

http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Sample_Code/QuickTime/Capturing/HackTV_Carbon.htm

-Eric