Trouble Getting adjusted to Smalltalk

Alan Mortensen mortea at alum.rpi.edu
Tue Oct 23 03:28:08 UTC 2001

I'm having difficulties tinkering around with Smalltalk after being a
long term Java developer.  My biggest problem is with typing (as in
class types)... how do you know what to pass methods?  Often I see
parameter names like aRectangle.. so I guess that's clear.. but what if
it's something like aBounds..

I guess if more methods were documented it would be easier.  All I know
is right now I'm having great difficulty using the available classes
without finding external documentation on a web page somewhere.

Oh as a side note, how is smalltalk doing these days usage-wise?  I know
Java has blown up in usage and may outpace C++ soon, but Smalltalk has
just been chuggin' along since the early days.  I had heard that up
until like 98 there had been steady growth but no one's been talking
about its marketshare since.

Alan