Debian and SqueakL revisited again...(was Re: Debian source package)

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Tue Oct 23 19:22:30 UTC 2001

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

> "Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > This is mainly because of the export restrictions in SqueakL I believe.
> > > So... tough luck. We will probably not see Squeak in Debian proper.
> >
> > I had overlooked the export restrictions....
> >
> > > It should be able to pop up in non-free though.
> >
> > It can't even go in non-free, because of this clause:
>
> Oops, didn't know that. Ok, so we are basically not going into Debian
> then.
> Bummer.

Indeed, especially as Debian looks to become much more widely used now
that the diskpacks are being sold (for cost, of course!) in more
countries. I see it working like this: newbie buys RedHat, gains feet
and confidence, and at some point either has to spend ages on line (with
possible ASP nonesense) buy a new commercial distribution, or go Debian.
I'm thinking of it myself!

But, in the meantime, in between time, could we try and get in on the
"commercial" side of SuSE? It's a huge distribution (plenty of space for
the mouse that soars) and probably the best of the commercial distros.
I'm actually quite surprised that Cincom (who have been getting VW onto
magazine disks -- and all power to them) have not done this yet.

Anyone know anyone at SuSE?

Cheers

John
--
If you don't care about your data, like file systems which automagically
destroy themselves and have money to burn on 3rd party tools to keep