Debian and SqueakL revisited again...(was Re: Debian source package)

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Tue Oct 23 20:53:20 UTC 2001

> From a legal and policy point of view, I'm sure we could get approval
> a modified Squeak-L, to the extent it embodied the corresponding
> portions and concessions of the APSL language.  There may be a
political
> issue, however, as Alan has seemed in the past VERY reticent to reopen

> the matter with Apple legal.

Maybe this was because he feared the involvement of Disney lawyers?
Maybe it's no
longer an issue.

If possible, the license issue should be addressed...not because there
are any real
technical issues with SqueakL, but because many people seem to have
problems with it
because it is not blessed as an "open source" license (for a few
technical reasons).

I think the requirement for a new license (if any) should be that it
stick as closely
as possible to the current SqueakL, and that it be blessed by
www.opensource.org.

- Stephen