Lots of concurrency

Justin Walsh jwalsh at bigpond.net.au
Wed Oct 24 04:30:01 UTC 2001

Gary!
There is only one mode of thinking with three separate functions or three
processes, common to all people. It is not unlike the digestive system, or a
photographic process.

Imagination:
This faculty, like a camera, scans continously and automatically , taking
stereo frames via two "a priori" intuitive lenses (time and space).

Understanding:
This faculty with the aid of a schema (structure: small and flexible in
children, large and rigid in aged) tries to create a "unity" of the
"manifold" of incoming data (physical objects). This unity takes the form of
principles or concepts.
Understandings operation is mainly serial. The process is hypothetical and
the keyword is IF.

Reason:
This faculty uses "a priori" Ideas to assist the Understanding in
contruction of concepts.
Reasons job is to provide the "systematic unity" in the form of the schema.
The process is deductive. It functions "as if" it were absolute. The keyword
is LET.

The sum of all the different objects in this process constitutes the point
of view.

I hope that I have not corrupted Kants point of view. Check for yourself,
(scan the attachment on the quoted words).