Trouble building Mac VM under MPW 3.5

Marcus marcus at ira.uka.de
Wed Oct 24 14:09:08 UTC 2001

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 02:58:25PM -0700, Martin McClure wrote:
> Summary and specific questions:
> I'm building a Mac VM under MacOS 9 using MPW 3.5. I've built VMs on
> Windows before, but not on Mac, and am an expert in neither Mac
> development nor C development in general. I've worked through many of
> the issues, but seem to be having more trouble with this one.
>
> At link time I'm getting these unresolved external references:

Hi!

Sorry for answering not earlier...

As John said: You need to link with a lot of libraries, they are
part of the MPW.

(I am linking with

LibFiles-PPC    =
		  "{GUSI}lib:GUSI_Core.MrC.Lib"
		  "{SharedLibraries}InterfaceLib"
		  "{SharedLibraries}QuickTimeLib"
		  "{SharedLibraries}StdCLib"
		  "{SharedLibraries}MathLib"
		  "{SharedLibraries}OpenTransportLib"
		  "{SharedLibraries}OpenTptInternetLib"
		  "{SharedLibraries}PowerMgrLib"
		  "{SharedLibraries}SoundLib"
		  "{SharedLibraries}DragLib"
		  "{SharedLibraries}ThreadsLib"
		  "{SharedLibraries}NavigationLib"
		  "{PPCLibraries}MrCPlusLib.o"
		  "{PPCLibraries}StdCRuntime.o"
		  "{PPCLibraries}PPCCRuntime.o"
		  "{PPCLibraries}OpenTransportExtnPPC.o"
		  "{PPCLibraries}OpenTptInetPPC.o"
		  "{GCCPPCLibraries}"libgcc.xcoff

WeakLibs	= QuickTimeLib,OTGlobalLib,OTInetClientLib,OTUtilityLib,OTClientUtilLib,OTClientLib

(I am using MPW with gcc and GUSI, see below for pointers)

> #  Unresolved external references:
> #    .ftruncate

This is POSIX, not ANSI C. I decided to link with GUSI. It's is a
nearly complete implementation of POSIX for MacOS < 10. (And BSD
Sockets and pthreads, wow!  see http://sourceforge.net/projects/gusi/ ).

Have a look at

http://irafs1.ira.uka.de/~marcus/j3/3.2a-4441J3.11j-SRC.sit

and

http://irafs1.ira.uka.de/~marcus/j3/devel/MPW-GCC.sit

MPW-GCC is the build-environment for Jitter, it's MPW + GCC
+ GUSI (+ some other stuff).
And the J3-Source contains Makefiles to build Squeak with
MPW-GCC.
This is not yet integrated with VMMaker. (Sorry, It will be soon)

        Marcus