A Squeak-site + a datequestion

Maarten Maartensz maartens at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 24 20:37:43 UTC 2001

Hello!

I have two topics.

1. A Squeak-site

I like Squeak very much for many reasons, and I maintain an extensive site
about philosophy, logic and M.E. for 5 years now. To this I have added a
considerable amount of material about Squeak, all written from my own
perspective of an experienced computer-user of DOS and Windows, who knows
how to program - in Prolog mostly, with which I have 13 years of extensive
experience - but not in Smalltalk, who knows of Squeak for some months now.

Since I believe one major weakness of Squeak is its lack of good
documentation, I hope this is one small contribution in that respect, that
I plan to extend considerably, i.a. by something like a user-manual for
Squeak.

You find my site in the link below, and the Squeak related material starts in

http://www.xs4all.nl/~maartens/log_comp/introducing_squeak.htm

It contains some 750 Kb of files about Squeak (some not all linked in at
present), and quite a few of my initial responses to many Squeak-related
issues.

2. A datequestion

As to the other question in my Subject: a datequestion.

When I do in any of the current Squeaks I have on my harddisk:

"Transcript clear; show: (Date newDay: 129 year: -50)" the answer I get is
"9 May 1950" which indeed is my date of birth. But by MY reckoning I am 51.
Incidentally "Transcript clear; show: (Date today)" gives "24 October 2001"
so today's date is correctly set.

What is wrong here? Do I misunderstand something or does Squeak discount
2000 somehow, since it appears to miss a year of my age? Note "Transcript
clear; show: (Date newDay: 129 year: -1)" gives "9 May 1999". Likewise
"Transcript clear; show: (Date newDay: 1 year: -0)" gives "1 January 2000".

Regards,

Maarten.

P.S. I am and remain for the moment on the list of mail-digests only.

Maarten Maartensz.
Website in Amsterdam about philosophy, logic,
M.E. (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) and much more:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~maartens/
more than 25 MB of stimulating and original ideas.