[ENH][SF] VMMaker platforms tree now imported to SourceForge.net

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Oct 25 05:15:12 UTC 2001

Eric Scharff <Eric.Scharff at Colorado.EDU> is widely believed to have written:

> As instructed by the SourceForge page, I opened a terminal window and
> logged into the CVS server:
>
> cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.squeak.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squeak login
>
> then checked out the "squeak" module
sounds good news so far...

> This seems to have worked, although I don't know how I can test if things
> are the most recent version.
I think I understand that you will only get the most recent version
unless you do strange things. But my comprehension of cvs is very
limited.

> Well, one data point is that some make-specific files (with resource forks
> and all) was archived in the "resources.sit" file in the
> "squeak/platforms/Mac OS/vm" directory.  I didn't have any problem
> extracting this file and using the contents.
Thats good news. I'm concerned that assorted file attributes,
permissions, types, creators, foobars and dooberries could get lost. And
if your files lose their dooberries, you're in trouble.

> I don't think you needed to change the modules file.  I did get a
> platforms directory.
At least on my personal vcs server, I was able to edit (and commit and
release) the modules file to add an alias of sorts so that I could
checkout 'platforms' rather than 'Squeak/platforms' and thereby get the
dang files to appear in a convenient place. It seems to have edited ok
on SF but the commit just locked up and never returned. Probably means
some crucial cvs resource is spinlocking forever...
I imagine that it might be useful to make some further module/aliases to
allow one to grab justthe code for a single platform and save connect
time and disk space.

There is one really important point everyone has to remember the first
(maybe first several) time they use VMMakerTool; Squeak has a really
poor filesystem. Copying a file loses all the above mentioned
dooberries. Thus, any file like a makefile, shell script, resource or
whatever gets messed up. John McI & I built a trivial plugin called
FileCopyPlugin to work around that, but until you've suffered one around
the loop and built that plugin, you do a tedious workaround to manually
OS-copy the dooberry-crucial files from platforms/myplatform/vm etc. I
guees we should try to find a good place to put premade binaries of the
plugin to download.

You might like to read the swiki pages on VMMaker before using it. I was
goingto post the url but minnow seems to be spending this evening dead
for tax reasons. Do a search for it!

tim

Love may be blind, but marriage is a real eye-opener.